Friday 26 February 2016

Thursday Food Bank Trip

This week we made the long trek to the Food Bank. Students spent 2 hours reviewing expiry dates and sorting our donated items. Credit Meadows brought in just under 900 items! Many eye-opening stories were shared and students greatly enjoyed the experience. The weather and walk helped put things into perspective for student reflections. I have included a few reflections below. We hope to volunteer again in the spring/summer. A big thank you to the volunteers and workers at the Orangeville Food Bank for taking the time to share and show us a little of what they do. Our community is a better place with them in it! Click on photos to enlarge.

















    

 


In student's responses they were asked whether or not they had formed a prejudice about homeless or those who utilize the food bank. They were also asked to discuss what was eye-opening about the experience. Below are 5 responses selected to share on the blog.


I didn't prejudge the homeless because if I think about or see the homeless, I would say to myself what if that was you, how would you feel? Most of the time they don't have a job to pay the bills and they don't have the money so they go to the food bank for help so they can live and feel their family to survive. When I was walking in the cold weather I felt bad, and I was thinking about how they would walk in all sorts of weather like snow storms and rain storms and all that jazz. Also when we were walking the sidewalks weren't cleared so it was hard to walk and the people had to carry 30 pounds through all of the weather and it would take even longer if you couldn't carry it all and you would have to go back and get the rest. Don't judge the homeless, there the same as you.

I didn't have a prejudice because I know some people out there need food for them or more importantly their kids and they don't have enough money for everyone or even any money at all, also it's hard for them to not have the money to buy clothes or buy food or just stuff to keep them alive. If I saw someone homeless I would definitely give them money from my own pocket and, maybe even talk to them for a bit because they're lonely out there and need someone to talk to maybe also need a friend.


I learned that keeping the food bank in business cost a lot of money, such as 5000$ a month for the electric. Also it's hard for the people to bring food for them or their children home because sometimes they have to walk a long way in bad weather carrying a lot of pounds of food. Some people with shoes in the winter would have wet feet and I know that because I have had experience walking there in back to help them organize the food and help out.

I did not have a prejudice judgement about the people who get food from the food bank because my family is a very open and a non-judgemental family. My parents taught me to be kind and open-hearted to EVERYONE. I felt bad being in people’s shoes who go to the food bank because I have the privilege to get fresh and almost unlimited food and many people don’t. They have to carry thirty pounds of food for them only. If they have little kids who can’t carry stuff they have to make extra trips. It is hard to imagine what they have to do to get food  during snowstorms and rain, carrying their food for the week. I can rely on my mom and dad’s jobs to get money for a good house and food. I am really picky on what I eat, but people who go to the food bank have to eat whatever is there. I felt so bad  imagining to be in their place. The trip made me realize how lucky me and my class are to be fed good lunches at school and how I get a phone, art supplies and an allowance while other people are hoping their parents get enough money. The trip really opened my eyes.

I did form a prejudice for the homeless and the people who work at the food bank. I thought that when we got to the food bank there would be homeless people there, they would be shopping with there kids so I guess I  was a little scared I didn't really want to see them there. Not that I don’t think people should even be allowed there it’s just seeing people in need, kinda makes me feel bad about myself because of all of the times I told my parents I want this and this and not eating my dinner but then I  remember a quote, life's a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, and a tragedy for the poor. I really thought it would be boring there but to be honest all of these assumptions were wrong I had a lot of fun and the workers were really nice so I'm glad I went. I would definitely like to go back a help out more even with the homeless there. So thank you Mrs. Bonter for making me go and realizing that when we ask for something that we want but do not need then we have to think about the homeless or less fortunate that don’t have as much as we do. So if  I liked the food bank then you probably will to.


I didn’t think too much about judging them, because they didn’t choose to be homeless, they didn’t want to carry 30 lbs to their house, on broadway. Just walking to and from the food bank made my feet hurt, I can’t imagine what they go through, once a month, with 30 pounds! I feel like they have too many judgements on their shoulders of them being dirty, ugly, poor, etc. and me judging them more, weighs their shoulders down even more and makes their long dreadful walk home more dreadful and worse. Putting myself into the shoes of the less-fortunate, makes me feel mostly sad and scared, I can’t imagine living in the cold with barely enough food. Just thinking of kids having to walk with their boots, and socks all wet makes me sad and it hurts my heart. And adults having to carry 30 lbs and walking in snow, and sometimes the heat, makes me feel really bad they have to go through so much just for food. It taught me that donating, and being more considerate for other people can make a big difference in their lives, and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment